Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Crayon making

When my daughter first started school, she was given the cutest heart crayon at her first Valentine's party.
So, this past year we gave it the good o' Jones try and they turned out pretty good.
 We gathered all our old broken crayons. Peeled off the wrapping, which in our opinion is the hardest part!
 So, we wanted to make our hear crayons multi-colored. So the first layer we wanted it to be red. So we melted crayons that were red or in the red color family.
 I designated an old pot to melt crayons in and made my own double boiler. Just stuck it in another old pot of boiling water. Once the water began boiling, I just turned the flame to low and kept it on the whole time. Once all the crayons were liquid I poured them into molds. You need to make sure all crayons have melted, and that there are no lumps.
 I bought these silicon molds at Target 2 for $2.50. I poured red melted crayon in each mold about 1/3 of the way.
 Then I melted another color for the second layer.  We decided to go with a purple'ish color. NOTE: you want to make sure your first layer is solidified before you pour in the second layer. It does not have to be all the way cooled, but it does need to be solid enough to not allow the second layer to mix through.

 Then melted orange and yellows for the last layer. Make sure you second layer is solid!

 Our final crayons! Make sure that the crayons are completely cooled before popping them out of the mold.
 Our second batch.
We used small jewelry bags (purchased at Michaels) to put them in, my kiddos made Happy Valentine's Day tags and we stapled them on the bags.
Note: make sure to ventilate the area you are melting the crayons in, it can get a bit smelly. ;)
Happy melting!

No comments:

Post a Comment