Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Outer Space Mobile

My youngest kiddo just turned 3 months and a month after he was born we bought a larger home and moved across town. Now that he had his own room, I had to seriously think about a frugal way to decorate! I was blessed by the clearance aisle at Target!


 I was on a routine shopping trip to Target, and after I got all the items on my list, I treated myself by browsing the clearance. Low and behold in the bedding section, I  found a "toddler" bed in a bag for $14.98. The theme was Outer Space and the set included a comforter, 1 pillowcase, a flat and a fitted sheet. It was perfect! The toddler size bedding fits crib mattresses!

 So, being that my little guy was only 2 and 1/2 months then, I had to make the space theme accommodate a baby.  And what better way to start that hanging a mobile? Unfortunately, Target did not have a space themed mobile for sale. So, with my daughter's help, we made one.
Someone had given me a bamboo ring that you could hang mosquito netting from,  so my daughter covered it with some bulky yellow yarn we bought at a thrift store for cents.
Then I made the space "hangers" with felt all free hand. And hung them with clear thread.
 I stuffed all the "hangers" to give them a better look.
 Like I said, everything was cut and sewn freehand,  so UFO not to scale.
 It was very hard to cut a perfect star, so mine is a bit lopsided. My husband said that I gave it character. ;)
What is an outer space mobile without the moon? Most importantly my little guy loves it, and that's what counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment